Monday, March 09, 2009

Well now, Wasn't THAT Fun!?


Yesterday after a pleasant weekend visiting with my parents and relaxing in a hotel, I set off to head home. My mother had warned me the day before that the weather was supposed to turn nasty. N was committed to a horse judging clinic, and I wasn't going to pull her out early. So, when we did head off down the highway, I was pleased that it was sunny.
For awhile. I got a text from my little brother about two hours into the trip. He was heading north from the Dells and had just rode through some really bad conditions. I was actually at the same spot on the interstate as he was, just heading into it instead of out of it like he.
Next I got a text from a friend heading from Madison to our hometown telling of cars in the ditch and bad conditions.
Still sunny where I was. Within 45minutes we were at a dead stop on icy roads. The picture above is one N shot out the window as we were sitting. And sitting. We slowly crawled forward, and within 20 miles we were moving again at a fairly fast pace. Unfortunately this is where I get off the interstate and head 30miles east towards my farm. The first 15 were a bit slushy. I was wondering why the plows hadn't been out. I saw an ice truck but that was it. The second 15 were actually a bit better, until I got to the county road I needed to take off of the state highway. Here was the bad roads. No plow had made its way through and I had to follow tracks. Then, I would hit a spot where the plows HAD come through and things would be better. At my next turn I hesitated trying to decide if I should take the road or not. I took it, because I am silly I guess, or like living on the edge. I had to push my little Malibu HARD to get through. We were skimming the top of the snow off the road. I couldn't slow down for fear we would get stuck, and yet if I kept going fast and had to swerve I would be in the ditch for sure!
I have to admit it was a blast. I love winter driving. Snow flying over the windshield, ruts directing which way I go. I reached down once and patted the dash board and told her "good girl" as we went from rut to rut, and my dependable car reminded me of Classy.
My dependable car that got me home who is now in need of new brakes, a tune up and the u-joint replaced is off to the spa for the day. I on the other hand am back to work, breaking up snow ball fights and making snow men. Life is good!
I am thankful for snow. It cleanses the earth, especially in March when moods are dismal and we are surrounded by brown.

1 comment:

photogchic said...

Sounds like the perfect getaway. As much as I complain about the snow..I still love how beautiful it looks. I am just so ready for it to be warm. Tired of the whole "layered" look.