Wednesday, March 04, 2009

March already!


Sorry I haven't been keeping up here as I should be. I sometimes feel unless I have something about art or horses to comment on, I shouldn't be putting stuff on here. But then I know my parents are following and wondering what we are up to down here in mid state Wisconsin.


Last weekend was the local Solo and Ensembles. Both my girls competed this year. S competing for the first time got two 1sts. One in concert snare drum and one in drum set. She was uncertain of what the whole process would be, but pulled it out pretty well. She was sick last week, which I can see in her picture, so I knew it would be rough. She wasn't happy with her performance, but the judge had nice things to say to her to encourage her to keep working.


N competed in eight events and is taking five of those pieces to state at the end of April. Unfortunately it is the same day as Junior Prom, so THAT will be a fun day!! She was hoping to do better with her piano piece, but still got a first on it, so we were pleased. N traditionally begins practice on her flute and piano solos in October, so this is a pretty stress intense day. She always says when the days is over that it is her favorite day of the year. Her band director has been pushing her lately to consider a career in music. He is right in that her life is school and music, with other things, such as friends and boyfriends coming in behind those two items. She is concerned about the possibility of making money with music, as are Jack and I. She is not talented enough to become a successful concert pianist or flutist, so that leaves therapy or teaching. Teaching seems the most viable at this point, although I am unsure if she would be happy dealing with kids at any age. So, these are things she is contemplating as she finishes her Junior year of high school. She is also interested in veterinary science, but her true love is English. Too bad there isn't a need for a large animal veterinarian who could edit thesis and play the piano for Holstein cows to make them healthier. Or maybe there is?


Today I am thankful for March. In March we begin to see the hopes of Spring, and after this long winter it is exactly what I need.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. Good luck for your girls in the future.

Cheers.

Deana said...

And we all like updates of any kind!