Thursday, February 12, 2009

7th Grade Basketball Rants

S is on the 'B' team of 7th grade basketball this year. While most of her friends made the 'A' team, on the 'B' team she gets serious court time and it has improved her skills immensely.

The week before last I finally had a free night and was able to go and watch her play. When I got there she was sitting on the sidelines with her ankle in a brace. It seems as she was going up for a layup another girl came under her and knocked her down, twisting her ankle. All before the game even started! After a visit to the emergency room and probably at least a $150 bill, we headed home with an air cast and a two or three day lay off prognosis.

It soon became apparent that two or three days was not quite what this would need to heal. Two weeks later and she is finally playing again. Finally in her terms. In the mean time she got to learn to coach the girls. Last Thursday I watched as she drew up plays on the clip board, presented them to the coach, and then gave her ideas to the girls on time-outs. Last Friday the coach had her run all but five minutes of practice. I think she liked still being involved, and he obviously noticed that despite being hurt she still wanted to be part of the team. Two other girls have got hurt, or were benched due to grades, and decided not to show up for practice and don't dress for the games. Perhaps if they have bad grades they are not allowed?

Sometimes I wonder about the thoughts behind those types of decisions from the other parents. I'm not sure team means the same as it did in the past. Last Tuesday one of her team mates got two technical fouls for bad sportsmanship. TWO technical fouls in one game by a 7th grade girl. The night S was hurt we stayed and watched the game, and a different girl slammed the ball into the ground when she didn't like what the ref had called. I was appalled, and told S 'If I EVER see you act like that, you will be out of the game.' She felt strongly as I did that it was inexcusable behaviour.

The girl with the two technical fouls? She sat the bench for about five minutes after the second call, and then the coach put her back in. I understand that he was short three girls and was down to one on the bench, but I am not sure I agree with his decision. I guess, when I volunteer to coach a team I can make the big calls. I am grateful that he HAS volunteered to coach the team, and he obviously likes my child and the effort she puts in.

S, from the beginning, has struggled with the team's seriousness. She said one practice they spent 20 minutes sitting around coming up with nick-names for each other. She finally asked the coach if she could just go practice shooting. On Tuesday night she was warming up for the game running and jumping in the hall way because it was the first time she had laced on her basketball shoes since the injury. She told me later that all but one of the girls on the team spent their time following the boys from the other school around and getting their phone numbers.

I have a feeling her seriousness in the sport will pay off in the long run. This year she has become a much more intense player and has a great desire to improve at every practice and every game. The girls above her on the 'A' team might truly be in for a run for their money next year when cuts come again.

Not much in horse news here. We had a nice thaw that allowed me to do a thorough stall cleaning and clean out the chicken coop as well. The horses are getting anxious for spring, as the rest of us are.

1 comment:

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm glad to hear that S's injury was something minor that didn't keep her out for the whole season. It's great that she still kept involved.

Sounds like S is committed to whatever she does. that's really cool! I wish my granddaughter was like that.

The horses here are ready for spring too.