Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Die Hard Catholic

That's what I am claiming I am today. Because Spring has arrived here, and although I am not pregnant, one of the original four ducks is setting on a nest of eggs. Already. And I don't have the heart to shoo her off of them and get rid of the eggs.

I am going to have to though because there are about 10 ducks total now living on our farm, and that is about 8 too many. I wouldn't mind a couple of females, because they are cute and well, cute... but the offspring are TOO much.

Yet every morning when I go to feed the horses, I see the mama carefully tending her next. This year she chose a spot near the freezer that houses the horse feed. So she puffs up and hisses at me, but that's about it. I throw her some grain and tell her to settle down. She's just SO cute, and you know those babies will be cute.

I need help. Badly. What I DON'T need is 20 more ducklings!!

Today I am grateful for the weather and the first open window day of the year. (not counting the time I opened them from burning pies in the oven) Yee HA!!

1 comment:

Deana said...

I can't take anymore chickens but I never have the heart to shoo them off the nests either! I make Martin do it. We have another one on now and I couldn't take her eggs away. Martin was like "You are the one who hates all these chickens?" But the babies are so sweet...