Saturday, January 17, 2009

grrrr

I was feeling so happy that I have barely been sick this year. Or, I should say, compared to the rest of the family. But here I sit today with a cold. Not a bad one mind you, just one that makes me dizzy if I stand up. So, sit I will while things go on around me. It wouldn't be so bad but we had two days of sitting while the weather was sub zero. No school, no reason to go out, no nothing. nadda. zilch.

I am sitting and enjoying N practicing for Solo and Ensemble competitions coming up in February. She is struggling, but such is the way it is mid January. If she was struggling mid February, we would be worrying. She just finished her rendition of The Maple Leaf Rag on piano, and it is coming along nicely. Luckily for me, I was out of the house on an errand while S practiced her drum set and snare drum solos. When she decided sheCheck Spelling wanted to play drums I hesitated, but knew from experience if she didn't choose what she wanted to play, she wouldn't enjoy the music. So, I let her pick drums and made her commit to three years of playing. Last summer she began private lessons in addition to the school lessons, and she has really started to do well with drumming. I think music teaches children the value of setting goals and how hard work can pay off. At times I have to come down on them about practicing more often, but for the most part they go off on their own three to four times a week and practice practice practice.

Classy Peavy cut her leg on Wednesday some time. It is right at the fetlock joint, so I wasn't able to bandage it. I cut away the extra hair, cleaned it out real well and put some scarlet oil on it. With the cold weather approaching that was about the best thing I could think of. She is not favoring that leg at all, so I am hoping this is just a surface scratch. It is scabbed over nicely and it doesn't bother her if we touch it. It is the same leg that she is slightly club footed on, and the leg she is arthritic on, so seeing lameness from that leg is not unexpected.

Today I am thankful for Nyquil. I don't think I have to go into the reasons why do I?

2 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

I have not heard The Maple Leaf Rag in years. I think I actually played that myself at a recital many many years ago. LOL

I'm glad to hear the cut is minor. You've had more than your share of stuff with horses.

Here's hoping the Nyquil does the trick and you feel better soon.

Rising Rainbow said...

I see you haven't been around in a few days, I hope you aren't still sick.

Also wanted to say, there's an award for you over at my blog.