Monday, December 01, 2008

Happy Winter


Okay, I know it doesn't officially arrive until December 21st, but it truly arrived here yesterday.

I went to feed the horses this morning and BOY were they full of spunk. I think standing in a shed all day while it snows and blows contains a lot of energy!!

Thanksgiving was really a nice weekend with my family. Playing Book and Run (Phetteplace card game) after a twenty year hiatus was hilarious. I think it was half way through the game before we had all remembered the rules. Well, actually we chose to ignore one of the rules that was pointed out 3/4 of the way through. The real challenge will be if we can play it again at Christmas and remember.

The photo above is of our eight year old Angus bull Atlas. He is as gentle as a kitten, but we still are very cautious around him. He does after all weigh more than a ton. At different times Jack has suggested we sell him, but I like the old boy and so he will be here another year or so.
A few months ago my parents gave me their old handcart. We brought it home and have been using it for feeding the calves and hauling hay for the horses. Therefore, it had ground corn left in the bottom of it and was being stored in one of the extra walk in sheds that the horses use. We decided to move Atlas and Lloyd (the donkey) into the pen with the cart. The next think I know Atlas is standing with his front legs in the cart licking the ground corn out of it. How do you remove a two thousand pound bull from a cart? With ears of corn I guess. Yelling made no difference, all he did was wince when I yelled and waved my hands at him. I guess that old cart was stronger than we thought!


In horse news:

I have found that Classy responds much better to Cosequin optimized with MSM than plain Cosequin. Actually I knew this already, but it became much more evident after I spilled my plain MSM into the vitamins and she went without it for a month. Yesterday I started her on the new supplement and she is already doing better.


I am also thinking of getting a horse for myself this spring. (shhhhh) Classy is really too arthritic for me to do much on, and I really DO want to learn more and lope without feeling I am hurting her. Maybe a nice horse will fall in my lap?

4 comments:

Lulu said...

With today's horse market you almost has to TRY not to have nice horses fall into your lap! I'm sure something will come along when you least expect it.

photogchic said...

Lots of nice horses out there to "fall in your lap." I was offered 3 amazing horses last week alone...for free. I just read about the accident...glad she is on the mend. Sending well wishes her way.

Deana said...

I was going to say like the first comment that with horses being given away around here, beautiful wonderful horses because of the economy you may land yourself a great deal on a fabulous horse.

I love catching up on a game and remembering the rules going through. That is always fun with family/friends.

Rising Rainbow said...

A nice horse for you should be a fairly easy request. I sure hope it happens. It's about time you do something for you, don't you think?