Friday, November 14, 2008

The Call No Mother Wants to Take



Yesterday just minutes after N left for school I got a phone call from a cell phone I didn't recognize. I picked it up and heard "Mom this is N, there's a problem. I've been in an accident." I asked if she was okay and where she was. Just a little over a mile up the road she told me. I then tried to get her off the phone so Jack and I could go to her, but she just kept repeating "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

Not being a mother herself, she didn't understand, and still doesn't, that I could care less about the car. All I wanted was to get to her as soon as possible, hold her in my arms and physically see for myself that she was okay.

She came up over a hill and ran into the back of a truck and trailer that was filled with Christmas trees. The local tree farmer has been loading and unloading trees in his yard for about the last month. She didn't see the trailer until she was on it, hit the clutch, then the brake but it was too late.

Her little green machine affectionately known as "Kermit" was totaled.



She is okay but for a little bruising to her chest, shoulder, thumb and ego. Thank goodness for air bags eh?
That's all that matters.
So my advice today? Hug your family and friends, you never know when you will see them again.
And thank you to all of our friends and neighbors who have extended well wishes to us. She has really learned not only that things can happen in an instant, but that there are a lot of people in this world who care deeply about her.

5 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

Sure am glad to read that all was well, and "N" is OK. Being an EMT, I have seen the aftereffects of some of "Those Calls" that did not end so well.

I have to agree whole heartedly with your closing statement there- let them know EVERY DAY, any way that you can, what those people mean to you.

Hope all settles down, and this is a lesson learned for a smooth future!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Kermit has croaked. I'm so glad N. is okay.

Rising Rainbow said...

Just looking at the pic gives me chills, I'm so glad that she is ok. Hang in there, mom! I know this is tough on you.

KinnicChick said...

I'm so glad N is okay. I was her age when I totaled my dad's prize Cougar. It was a beauty. And all I could say when the kind guy down the street stopped to check on me was "My mom is going to kill me." and I apologized over and over when I told her, too.

It's a teen thing. :)

Callie said...

OMG! Good Grief! I'm so glad she is ok! How terrifying!