Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Warm Breezes



After what seemed like forever warm breezes have enveloped our state. As I was catching up on dishes I noticed that our thermostat read 50 degrees. I immediately dried my hands and went outside.

I haltered Gunner and we went for a walk down the road. Gunner is still scared of vehicles so taking a cue from Clinton Anderson I put him in reverse whenever a car came near. He was busy thinking about his feet and not the vehicle so our walk was pleasant.

When we returned home I got the clippers out and started clipping him. The extension cord was hanging on the board fence so I had to go inside the corral to clip. Safety 101 probably has notes about not clipping with other loose horses in the coral, but clip I did. I'm glad I did because I would never have known that Classy actually LOVES to be clipped. In fact, as I was clipping Gunner she came over and hung her head over his neck to get closer to the clippers.

When I was finished with Gunner I of course clipped Classy, because she was begging after all. I even did under her chin where the woolly winter hairs grow in.

Finally I did Catfish, for leaving him unclipped seemed wrong for some reason. The goof is just too tall for clipping. I ended up clipping his bridle path and a nice section next to his bridle path. Lovely. It's always interesting to clip a horse you haven't clipped before. I like to see how they react etc. He came clipped so I knew he was exposed to a clipper at least once in his life. He acted like a gentlemen until I got close to his ears. At that point he raised his head and shook it.. I sternly told him to "cut it out" and he licked his lips and returned for more. He's all show I tell ya... Next time I will enlist one of the girls to hold him and get on a step stool, or ladder, or the corral fence.

So, that's what I do on the first warm day in February. What would you do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I rode Glinka and made him sweat!

Anonymous said...

Spirit literally came out to get me yesterday morning to let me know what a nice day it was. I went to put my things in the vehicle and he was standing in the drive. We have no idea how he keeps getting out. He followed me right up like he had a halter on, he was ready for his lunch I guess. Maybe he thought I was too slow.
While he was very good for some reason he "mouthed" the car and truck. I washed the truck yesterday but the car is still streaked with bizarre patterns of red mud. I was terrified he would kick the car!

Isn't this weather wonderful? Oh I hope it lasts!