Wednesday, February 07, 2007

In search of a horse.

An extraordinarily high amount of my time in the last month has been spent in search of a horse for S. With the loss of Kelzon a new mount must be found for the young one. After years of watching N struggle with this horse or that I am trying my best to be patient and find just the right horse for the girl. It should ideally last her until she is out of high school. Wouldn't that just be ideal? Experience tells me that this just might not happen.

Most mornings after answering emails and doing my blog rounds I head over to Dreamhorse to check their latest barrel horse listings. Then it's on to Equine to see what new horses have been added. Two weeks ago we were all set to check out a horse in northern Wisconsin just down the road from Keri's when we got the call that the first person out to see the horse bought it.

This weekend we are heading to Indiana to check out two horses. One is a beautiful little Arabian that a boy has been riding for 5 years. The other is a quarter/paint cross that a college bound girl is selling for tuition money. Both could be ideal, or not work at all.

It is after all the first of February and for the next month still a buyers market. Once March and April roll around I suspect prices will rise. For in March and April the grass will begin to grow and the need for hay will lessen. The desire for riding will directly increase with the temperatures.

I also have been kept busy searching for the ideal stud for Classy. Last week I found what I feel is the ideal stallion. In April she will head west to meet her new boyfriend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip. I'm hoping one of those horses is just right for S. and your bank account :)

KatieK

KathyK said...

Good luck this weekend! Even though I don't know anything about horses, I feel like I'm learning a bit from reading your blog. I love seeing and hearing about your art, your animals, your girls - an especially you!

Anonymous said...

If Spirit doesn't stop cribbing I'll send you him for free! I don't know why he has started that habit, boredom I suppose. While we were gone he chewed all along the fence. Martin will not stand for that so I've got to make him stop. I think once it warms and we get back out to do things together and ride he'll stop.
Good luck on your new horse venture!